Oatmeal Pancake with Poached Rhubarbs

>> Thursday, August 25, 2011


I'm grateful today that...

...a big genuine smile can make for a really great day :D

...not being always in control (as much as i'd like to be) humbles and frees us.

...i have a roof over my head and that i can wake up and not have to worry about soooo many things i take for granted. but it saddens me that i can just flick through the channels between devastating news around the world and the silly reality TV shows and feel...normal.

...in quietness and trust i get my my strength.

...no one saw me when i fell flat on my face at the station :P

...that people encourage one another. let's keep it going because we all need that!

...i have access to amazing produce which made up my delicious breakfast.

So one Saturday morning, we visited Sydney's Pyrmont Grower's Market for the morning grind and weekly grocery. Happy times!

I foresee lots of oven baked fries in the upcoming days...with lots of garlic and pepper!


Poppies are such cheerful and whimsical flowers, don't you think?


Despite the busy-ness of the market, my eyes turned to these vibrant dark strands of ruby red rhubarbs and recipes after recipes appeared in my mind about what I'd do with them. If I could, I would buy them all!


I love rhubarbs in crumbles, with cream cheese on tarts, but my favourite way of eating them is poached with a bit of lemon and cinnamon!


So for breakfast today, it's poached rhubarbs (prepared previous day) with oatmeal pancakes and a bit of greek yogurt! (I wanted to make some waffles initially...but then realised that I do not have a waffle maker! D'uh.)


But the good news is, this pancake is delicious - soft and tender as all pancakes should be! If you're an oatmeal lover, then this pancake is for you. Cooked rolled oats combined with some oat flour is used to make up this 'double oated' goodness!


You can prepare the poached rhubarb in advance as I did. They keep well in the fridge for up to a week and you can have them with everything (well almost!). My favourite is with rice puddings!

Don't forget to sweeten up your greek yogurt with some honey too, as you may find the rhubarbs slightly tart!


Oatmeal Pancakes
adapted from Kim Broyce’s Good to the Grain
makes enough for 4
  • 1 cup of all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup of oat flour
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon of sea salt
  • 3 tablespoons of butter
  • about 1 1/4 cup of milk (more if needed to thin out the batter)
  • 1 cup of cooked oatmeal (not quick-cook or steel-cut)
  • 1 tablespoon of unsulphured molasses
  • 2 large eggs
1. Whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.

2. Melt the butter and allow it to cool slightly before whisking it with the milk, eggs, oatmeal and molasses in a separate bowl.

3. Fold in the milk and oatmeal mixture into the dry ingredients, gently mixing until combined (don’t use a heavy hand if you’re aiming for tender pancakes).

4. If the batter is too thick, thin out with a little bit more milk.

5. Heat about a tablespoon of butter in a heavy cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and ladle 1/4 cupfuls of batter into the skillet once it’s hot (no more than 3 at one time).

6. Once the pancake batter starts to bubble, flip and cook for another minute or two before transferring to a plate.

7. Continue to scoop in 1/4 cupfuls of batter (re-butter the skillet as necessary) until you have used up all of the batter. Adjust the skillet temperature if you feel that the pancakes are burning or not browning evenly.


Poached Rhubarb
  • 600g pink rhubarb (~one bunch)
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 500ml water
  • 1 lemon, sliced
  • 1 cinnamon stick
1. Trim the tops and ends of the rhubarb and cut diagonally into 3cm lengths. Put the sugar, water, lemon and cinnamon stick into a pan and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the syrup has thickened slightly.


2. Tip in the rhubarb and gently poach for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pieces are just tender but still holding their shape. Transfer the rhubarb with a slotted spoon to a bowl.

3. Boil the syrup until reduced by two thirds to a thick, syrupy sauce. Pour over the rhubarb, leave to cool completely, then chill; the rhubarb will continue to stain the poaching syrup pink with time. This can be kept chilled for up to one week.



Weekend is almost here!


31 comments:

chow and chatter August 25, 2011 at 11:43 PM  

wow this looks amazing :-) and great thoughtful post

tartedujour August 25, 2011 at 11:56 PM  

The red rhubarb is gorgeous! I've never poached it before but it sounds delicious! I'll try it!

grub August 26, 2011 at 12:40 AM  

wah you ok from the fall?
i love oats too! combined with pancakes, maybe too. i still need to finish my toasted muesli before i make a new batch!!

StarletStarlet August 26, 2011 at 2:38 AM  

Poached rhubarb? That's genius - I will have to try 'em!

Erika Beth, the Messy Chef August 26, 2011 at 5:19 AM  

What a great use for rhubbarbs! I'll probably start making pancakes again very soon since fall is a couple of weeks away.
PS I kept tripping yesterday. Didn't land on my face, but I feel you on being grateful no one saw!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart August 26, 2011 at 5:35 AM  

Hope you are okay after your fall!

Your plate of pancakes look so good! On, boy... the rhubarb and the whipped cream... perfect!

You sure do have great recipes here :)

Brownieville Girl August 26, 2011 at 6:30 AM  

Possibly the best breakfast ever!

Healthy with the oats and rhubarb, but a little bit naughty too!!!

Maris (in Good Taste) August 26, 2011 at 9:51 AM  

Lovely sentiments and a delicious recipe

OohLookBel August 26, 2011 at 11:04 AM  

Fantastic-looking rhubarb, so melty, soft and delicious.

renee@sweetsugarbean August 26, 2011 at 2:34 PM  

Look at you putting rhubarb on pancakes! Love it! I still have some growing in my backyard, and now I know what to do with it. Pancakes. Yum.

Von August 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM  

Falling face down sounds awfully painful...!
I've never had rhubarb before- but I love the vibrant red colour it has! These pancakes sound really interesting- I've never thought of having oats in pancakes before! haha...I actually just finished a bowl of oatmeal so I'm a little sic of oats atm ;)

PFx August 26, 2011 at 8:08 PM  

Uh uh U! I am an oat lover.
I hope you're alright after the hi 5 to the face incident?
I think rhubarb is so simply sexy. I like the way you treat your rhubarbs. Nothing like a fresh poached pink bite.

Aizi August 26, 2011 at 9:04 PM  

hope u re ok after that fall?
must check if our rhubarb is ready to be harvested... we love it poached too... goes very well with grilled mackerel, did u know?
ps. inherited a waffle iron from my grandma, now u ve given me ideas!
pps... how do you get your rhubarb such an intensely deep pink color?

Viv August 26, 2011 at 11:19 PM  

Thanks everyone for the comments :) The fall wasn't too bad just some bruises on my knees that's all! ;)

Aizi: I'm not sure why they're so intensely deep pink actually! Possibly I didn't 'over-cook' the rhubarbs and kept reducing the syrup until thick before i poured them over the rhubarbs!

Karen August 27, 2011 at 1:32 AM  

Mmm, this looks like the best comfort food! Your market pictures are wonderful, Viv. They make me want to hit the markets around town tomorrow. Have a great weekend! :-)

Unknown August 27, 2011 at 3:06 AM  

Yes, it disturbs us too that we can sit around at breakfast and hop from one horrible event to the other and then just go about our day. But...rhubarb - just discovered cooking with it this spring...so delicious. No poppies here in TX but when we were in France, we passed fields of them...breathtaking!

Janine August 27, 2011 at 2:16 PM  

this came at an apt time, when I rolled out from bed, thinking about pancakes. too bad i don't have rhubarbs available here, because they sure look delicious. am putting the pancakes onto the pan as i speak!

Jeannie August 28, 2011 at 2:54 AM  

Lovely color from the rhubarbs, I have yet to get the opportunity to taste it though, sad to say...

Alice @ YiReservation August 29, 2011 at 7:42 AM  

I have never had Rhubarb before. But I love how beautiful the ruby red color it has. I should try it out some time.
I grateful for the Hurricane Irene didn't cause too much destruction to the greater NY areas. A lot of people were evacuated yet we could stay home, with electricity, hot water and plenty of food. I feel really fortunate.

sugarpuffi August 29, 2011 at 11:39 AM  

mmm the poached rhubarb looks delish!

Dolly August 29, 2011 at 8:39 PM  

oat meal pancakes interesting....

ive never cooked with rhubarb before... feeling the need to try now hehe..

happy eating viv!

chopinandmysaucepan August 29, 2011 at 11:52 PM  

The red is so intense and vibrant, such a comforting dish for winter..

Reem | Simply Reem August 30, 2011 at 7:12 AM  

Hope you are ok,
Poached rhubarb looks awesome,such a beautiful color....
A very cozy dish indeed... Pancakes can never go wrong and these look fantastic.

Joanne August 30, 2011 at 9:24 PM  

So many things to be grateful for! But I am number one grateful that you shared this recipe with us...totally made my morning!

Jean August 31, 2011 at 1:21 AM  

you lucky girl... i've never seen rhubarbs over here. i do see them appearing often in recipes accompanied by strawberries, but never got a chance to taste how it's like!

Lori@FakeFoodFree August 31, 2011 at 7:29 AM  

Such beautiful photos of the market! I grew up with rhubarb, but have never had it poached. The color is just gorgeous. The pancakes sound perfect for a comforting weekend breakfast!

Juliana September 1, 2011 at 8:25 AM  

What great breakfast you have here...rhubarb and pancakes.
Hope you are having a fantastic week Viv :-)

Nami | Just One Cookbook September 1, 2011 at 10:27 AM  

Wow! This is my first time seeing poached rhubarbs and I'm so curious how it tastes like. I've seen rhubarbs in many baking dishes but this is totally unique to me. What a great breakfast - my daughter has been asking for pancakes for weeks and she's still not getting any (bad mom!). I really enjoyed looking at your breakfast... :-)

Zoe September 1, 2011 at 3:25 PM  

I've never brave enough to use rhubarb for my cooking. I was afraid that my husband and my son didn't like it. Your poached rhubarb on pancake sounds like a great idea to test their taste buds.

Deborah September 5, 2011 at 4:09 PM  

This sounds like the perfect breakfast!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP