Oatmeal Raisin Spelt Cookies

>> Thursday, June 16, 2011


I love watching the sunset. But the truth is I don't make the effort to see very many of it each year.

My last trip to Taiwan (my hometown) me and some friends made a trip to a scenic spot just to say farewell to the sun.


The sunset was incredible. And all around me I could spot people gasping with delight at the sight of the slowly descending sun or people posing for the cameras with the sunset as the backdrop, or couples embracing in silence as they soak in the beauty of it all. Fascinated. Content. Seems like the worries and the grudges of daily life suddenly disappeared for everyone.

And so I wonder what it is about nature which has the power to mesmerize us over and over again? The ever changing colour of the sky, the lofty mountains, the incredible sunrise and sunset....I mean, surely we've seen a number of these in our lifetimes? It's nothing new to be honest - but how does it inexplicably melt the hardest of hearts and calms the most unsettled soul?


As I'm getting older (another birthday this month! Eeek.), it's not hard to notice that my sense of wonder declines. Only the 'new' can amaze me - the latest gadget and what the next superfood is. Tomorrow the new becomes old and yesterday's wonder is not so wonderful anymore. It's all temporary, no?


I'd like to think that I understand a little bit more about life, about people and about God as I mature but sometimes (and often) pride tricks me into thinking that I've seen it all or done it all. That I don't need to go back to the basics or 're-learn' some of the forgotten lessons or be reminded about the familiar Scriptures that I thought I understood.

Afterall, I have a looong list of things to do and who has the time to walk the same walk and what's the point of looking at something I've seen already?


But every once in a while, just like on this recent trip, I do take my time to gaze at God's amazing creation and my hard heart melts, my weariness disappears...and I am humbled by the beauty and wonder of it all, once again.


And in a sort of similar way like the sunset (okay, maybe not quite comparable), there are some of my favourite basic foods that I simply forgot about in the busy-ness of trying all other new and exciting recipes and food combinations.


One of them is my all time favourite oatmeal cookies (yes, they beat choc chip cookies for me!)

This is back to the basics for me. I remember making them growing up. This was the only way I'd have oat back then (how things have changed - now I have oatmeal every morning!)


I'm also beginning to find spelt flour extremely versatile and use it to replace the All Purpose flour completely in many of my bakings.

What is different about this recipe is that the oats are first toasted lightly in the oven so as to deepen the oaty flavour. Hmmmm, delicious. Next time I want to try another recipe soon using oat flour instead of spelt flour. Imagine that, oat + oat flour = oat-ness overload.


I was in a hurry to leave the house after baking these cookies so had to pack them up (in style) as my train ride snack (then took a photo of it, obviously hehe):


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
  • 3 cups old rashioned rolled oats
  • 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 12 tablespoon (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
  • 1 cup rasins
Makes 2 1/2 dozen 3-inch cookies

Viv's note: I halved the recipe so only made 1 tray.

1. Place one rack in the top third and another in the bottom third, and preheat the oven to 400F (200C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

2. Spread the oats out on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake on the bottom rack for 3 minutes, stir and continue baking until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 more minutes. Set aside to cool. (you can omit this step - but baking the oats deepens the 'oaty' flavour)

3. Reduce the oven temperature to 350F (177C)

4. In a large bowl combine the spelt flour, cinnamon, baking soda, powder and salt. Stir until blended.

5. In a food processor fitted with steel blade, or with an electric mixer, process the brown and white sugars and butter until smooth and fluffy. Add 1 egg and process for about 20 seconds. Add the second egg and vanilla extract and process until the mixture is smooth, about 20 secs more. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until the flour is absorbed. Blend in the toasted oats and the raisins until the oats are all coated with the dough.

6. Drop heaping tablespoonful of the dough onto the parchment lined baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between the cookies for spreading. Use the back of the spoon or your fingers to gently flatten the cookies roughly into rounds about 1/2-inch thick.

7. Bake on the upper rack until the tops and bottoms are nicely browned and the tops spring back to a very gentle touch, 8 to 10 minutes. Rotate the cookies every 3 mins for even browning. Slide the parchment paper onto a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining batter, relining the cookie sheet with a clean parchment paper and making sure to let the sheet cool between batches.

Store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 10 days.


I hope your week has been nice so far.

Oh, and I finally updated my About me page too. I will be working to complete the other tabs soon.

I hope!

Toodles for now :)

22 comments:

Joanne June 16, 2011 at 8:39 PM  

What a beautifully reflective post! Happy almost birthday!

It definitely is lovely to appreciate the simple things...especially when those simple things are oatmeal raisin cookies, which are my favorite as well!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart June 16, 2011 at 9:58 PM  

I love your photos especially the one with the sparkly sun reflection leading to the woman bending over. It is gorgeous!

I much prefer oatmeal cookies too. Funny thing... my entire life I completely disliked raisins. I didn't like how they looked all shriveled up and I didn't like their stickiness. Then, somehow my taste buds changed and now I love raisins. weird :)

Joyti June 16, 2011 at 11:15 PM  

What a beautiful sunset!
And I agree with you on oatmeal over chocolate chip. Those look delicious.

hanushi June 17, 2011 at 12:28 AM  

These cookies look great and healthy!!! :)

Erika Beth, the Messy Chef June 17, 2011 at 6:53 AM  

Great photos! When I was younger I never understood the oooing and awing of sunsets. I got much wiser once I was older. :)

Anonymous,  June 17, 2011 at 8:32 AM  

What beautiful photos, Vivienne. As I was scrolling, I was thinking, "I wish I could print it as a painting or poster." I haven't been so courageous to replace my recipes with all spelt (for AP flour)... but it's nice to know it is possible! Will try soon.

Two fit and fun gals June 17, 2011 at 9:57 AM  

these look delicious i might try them with just plain flour? :)

Jessica's Dinner Party June 17, 2011 at 4:24 PM  

Happy pre-Birthday! I also find birthdays to be a quite pensive time. Sunsets, no doubt, provoked that even more. The photos are fantastic and I love that little bag you packed those scrumptious looking oaties in!

Maria June 17, 2011 at 8:11 PM  

Gorgeous photos and cookies! They look so irresistible!

Ana Rita Marreiros June 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM  

I never used spelt but your cookies are so tempting that i'll probably buy the next time i go grocery shopping.

Kisses,
Rita

Lori June 18, 2011 at 2:37 AM  

What a wonderful post! You've inspired me today! I share your feelings about nature and the idea of revisiting something that is considered been there, done that. I experience this in both food and travel. We want to see more places, but we've come across some favorites along the way and just want to go back and experience it again. I have so many foods just like this, that I make once and forget about. Thanks for the reminder. I love the idea of spelt in these, they look so good!

Alia June 18, 2011 at 9:20 AM  

Hi!
I am your follower!
I really like the Cookies and I love the pics! They remind me of India!
I love your Blog.
Keep up the good work!

Do visit my blog too and follow it if you like it!

God Bless!

Alia
http://aliascreativelife.blogspot.com/

Jean June 18, 2011 at 12:45 PM  

i can imagine these darlings going crunchcrunchcrunch in my mouth. hey, fret not about ur age...you're like me, we celebrate our 21st birthdays every year :)

sugarpuffi June 19, 2011 at 5:26 PM  

that sunset looks amazing! especially when u coupled it with drooping vines. ur cookie is too healthy! add some choc chip in it hehe~!

Viv June 19, 2011 at 5:45 PM  

Joanne: THanks girl! Didn't know oatmeal raisin cookies are so many ppl's favs as well!

LDH: Thanks - I love that shot as well! I can see why you didn't like raisins, it's not the prettiest to look at! Guess your taste buds matured! haha.

Indie.Tea: Thanks girl. Yay we're the oaties!

hanushi: Hehe thanks!

Erika Beth: Yay to older and wiser :D hehe

ricekernel: Yeah good idea! i might print out and see! ive tried spelt with muffins and cakes and they work great!

Two fit and fun gals: Yep they will def work with AP/plain flour!

Jessica: Thank you!! Yeah I'm def in a reflective kinda mood. hehe. I know, i loved that lil bag too that why i took a pic of it :P

Maria: Thanks :)

Ana Rita: Do please! :)

Lori: Thanks :) I'm glad it inspired you somehow! It's always good to be reminded about that basics in life that we take for granted.

Alia: THanks for following!

Jean: Oi, I'm really turning 21 this year! lol haha we wish Jean.

sugarpuffi: yes, if i make it for you dear its gonna have heaps of choc in it ;)

Yi @ Yi Reservation June 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM  

What a beautiful sunset!!

I've been wanting to travel to Taiwan for the longest time for the delicious food that my Taiwanese friends have been raving about.

Now certainly there is one more reason that I need to make my way there!

Karen June 21, 2011 at 2:51 AM  

Lovely sunset to match your lovely cookies! I love how sunsets are so different depending on where you are - on the beach, in the mountains, in a city, etc.

Lisa @ Tarte du Jour June 21, 2011 at 9:55 AM  

What a glorious sunset. I was amazed by the beauty of these photos! And the cookies look fabulous too! Loved this!

Zoe June 21, 2011 at 12:25 PM  

I had been trying to bake breads with wholemeal spelt flour but never succeed... The texture is very spongy. After seeing your post, I show use my leftover making cookies.

That's Ron June 21, 2011 at 8:29 PM  

great shots! the cookies looks awesome as well!

Juliana June 22, 2011 at 6:16 AM  

Great twist for oatmeal cookies... I like it! Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures...
Hope you are having a great week Vivienne :-)

chopinandmysaucepan June 23, 2011 at 7:47 PM  

Hey, this sunset is pretty incredible!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP