Roasted Dutch Carrots with Balsamic Vinegar and Honey

>> Monday, December 20, 2010


One of my favourite activities during the week is grocery shopping. Or more precisely, shopping at the food markets with my fashionable granny trolley (which was on my Christmas wishlist but I couldn't wait and got it myself a few weeks ago!)

Apart from the obvious pleasures of smelling/touching/purchasing the freshest produce and seeing all the seasonal items in abundance - I enjoy observing how people around me go about this activity and seeing their different purchasing patterns.


I also love to listening on to people's conversations at the markets (yes, I eavesdrop while I shop!). Like the time I was picking carrots, a man next to me asked his young son,

"Do you know what these are called?" 
"Errr...purple carrots?"
"No, these are called heirloom carrots, ok?"

Good on ya, dad! I adore conversations like this. 

Teaching kids that carrots don't come in a packet off the supermarket shelf. 


Then just a few days ago, I was picking some corns and this young boy came up next to me and asked,

"So, what do you look for in a corn? How do you know if it's any good?"

I taught him to pick ones which are bright and plump. Then he proceeded to have a conversation with me which rocked me socks off. With such genuine enthusiasm, he talked about how awesome that the blackberries in his basket are and how cheap they are now. Maybe it's because I don't have any kids myself yet, but it feels rather strange to be talking to a young kid as if you are talking to a grown-up.


Anyways, so this is the first time I have purchased those dutch carrots! December has a way of making you do things you normally wouldn't do. And plus I couldn't take my eyes off these when I saw them all vibrant and joyful, almost singing out to me.

These are so sweet and simply delicious - I'm sure they'd make a great side to any meaty Christmas dishes!

I wish your Monday was very nice and you keep safe during this festive time... 


Ingredients

  • 1 bunch Dutch carrots
  • 30 ml  olive oil
  • 3-4 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • Splash of balsamic vinegar
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Few sprigs of dills (although I would recommend using thyme since dill don't really quite work as well as thyme - just what I had in the fridge).

1. Preheat the oven to 220C.
2. Trim carrot tops and wash carrots well.
3. Place carrots in medium baking dish with combined oil, garlic and honey and balsamic vinegar; toss well. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
4. Roast, uncovered, 15 minutes.
5. Add thyme leaves, roast further 3 minutes or until tender.

21 comments:

grub December 20, 2010 at 10:43 PM  

the blackberry kid sounds so awesome! kids these days are getting more into it lately huh? hehe your carrots look so cute ^^ i think i'd roast them whole since they're so petite :)

hanushi December 21, 2010 at 1:00 AM  

first time i see such carrots... hehe... :)yummy...

j3ss kitch3n December 21, 2010 at 1:22 AM  

these dutch carrots looks so awesome! i would like to have some now!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart December 21, 2010 at 8:04 AM  

I love to roast root vegetables but what makes these sound so good is the splash of balsamic vinegar. I will try this :)

Thank you!

megan @ whatmegansmaking December 21, 2010 at 1:44 PM  

oh my goodness, your pictures are incredible. Just beautiful!

Anh December 21, 2010 at 3:12 PM  

so lovely! A great way to increase our vegie intake :)

joanh December 21, 2010 at 7:37 PM  

mm, sounds and looks delicious!

Joyti December 21, 2010 at 10:33 PM  

The carrots sound delicious...and your photographs of them are so beautiful!
I'm sorry, I thought I had answered your question about the giveaway...it is open to international shipping :)

Joanne December 22, 2010 at 2:28 AM  

First of all, these pictures are just stunning! never have I ever seen carrots look so appealing!

I could talk about food indefinitely...to five year olds...to two year olds...to infants...to anyone who will listen! so cute that the little kid wanted to talk about blackberries and corn though!

Zoe December 22, 2010 at 2:46 PM  

I like your conversation with your dad...that's funny the way he expressed interest in your cooking...he is very cute :D

Love your idea of roasting carrot with balsamic and honey...I will try that too...maybe for this Christmas lunch :D

As for your query about my flourless peanut butter cookies...in my opinion, I think the sweetness of these cookies are just right for me. There is lots of saltiness in the peanut butter itself so this amount of sugar is the right amount to balance the taste. I would say you can reduce the sugar amount a little, not too much.

Maria December 22, 2010 at 3:36 PM  

I've made a similar dish using heirloom carrots and they were so delicious! Looks great! Happy Holidays!

j3ss kitch3n December 25, 2010 at 5:23 AM  

merry xmas viv! have a fabulous xmas!

sugarpuffi December 29, 2010 at 4:53 PM  

ur in the kitchen a lot these days! great photos and great food! <3333

j3ss kitch3n January 1, 2011 at 2:44 AM  

happy new year viv! have a wonderful year ahead!

hanushi January 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM  

Happy New Year to you, Viv! :)

Brownieville Girl January 6, 2011 at 8:25 AM  

I love balsamic vinegar with roasted veg - it really brings out the flavour.

Really lovely photos.

Simon Leong January 10, 2011 at 8:01 PM  

love the carrot recipe. they look fantastically yummy! :-)

livinglou January 13, 2011 at 2:55 PM  

Mmm! Boy, do these look good! I'm going to have to make these sometime soon.

Shu Han July 27, 2011 at 11:59 PM  

i've never seen dutch carrots before(: these look beautiful! I love what you did with them too. I think great produce needs nothing more than that! haha i also like talking to people at the markets, i'm usually the one asking though ;)

http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/01/two-kale-stir-fry.html

Anonymous,  December 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM  

I want to visit to start my day. I also admire your selection. I’ll be back soon for more discussions. As of the moment I’ll just leave a quick post just letting you know I love your blog.house-of-automotive.com |

lakeforestcarshow.com |

wagnerautomotive.com |

autoscuola-astrea.com |

300cweddingcars.com |

carsivitrinmankenleri.com |

carsoncityecondev.com |

ldptransportes.com |

michael-t-carson.com |

momentumdreamcars.com |

steamautospa.com |

transportation4business.com |

voteforcarsten.com |

guide4toinvest.com |

businessnbudgeting.com |

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP