Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

>> Sunday, August 8, 2010


One day soon, I hope to say something like,

"...so I bought a SLR camera and never looked back."

The truth is, at the moment I am looking back fondly on the days of effortlessly 'pointing and shooting' and not having to think about all the different settings and what they mean. I spent all afternoon getting acquainted with this new toy of mine and the super-zoom lens that I bought by 'mistake' (in Japan...it's a long story!)


I know it will get easier with experience and patience...I just look forward to that day.

Oh, and that is not the only thing new in my life.

Spelt flour. Wholemeal. Whoa. Never thought this day would come.

Rhubarbs have been sitting in the fridge for a week now.

Six punnets of strawberries are waiting to be eaten.

No time for pie crust...

Looks like a crumble will do :)


Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
Recipe from 101 Cookbooks
  • butter for greasing skillet/pan (about 1 tablespoon)
  • 3/4 cup / 3 oz / 85 g spelt flour
  • 2/3 cup / 3 oz / 85 pine nuts, lightly toasted
  • 1/2 cup / 1.5 oz / 45 g rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup / 2 oz / 60 g natural cane sugar (I halved this)
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/3 cup / 2.5 oz / 75 g unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup / 2 oz / 60 g natural cane sugar (or Muscovado sugar - I halved this)
  • 1/2 lb. / 8 ounces / 225 g hulled medium strawberries, cut into quarters
  • 12 ounces trimmed rhubarb, sliced into 3/4-inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup / 60 ml port wine (optional - I excluded this)
Preheat the oven to 375F / 190C, with a rack in the middle. Butter a 10-inch round gratin dish (pictured), or a 9x9 square baking dish.

Combine the flour, pine nuts, oats, sugar, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Use a fork to stir in the butter, squeeze into a few patties, then place in the freezer to chill at least ten minutes.


Make the filling by whisking together the cornstarch and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the strawberries and rhubarb, and toss until evenly coated. Wait three minutes, add the port and toss again.


Transfer the filling to the prepared pan, remove the topping from the freezer, and crumble across the top of the filling - make sure you have big pieces and small.


Bake for 35 - 40 minutes, or until the topping is deeply golden and the fruit juices are vigorously bubbling. You'll want to let things cool a bit before serving, 20 - 30 minutes.

Serves a small crowd, 8 - 12 servings.


This is the first time I have baked strawberries. Normally I'd think it is a waste to cook such fresh berries, but I just have too much of it in the fridge ;)

The rhubarb and strawberry combination exceeded my expectations (in the past I just couldn't imagine how this could work) and the crunchy topping is just as delicious as a normal crumble - and healthier too, although I would probably decrease the amount of pine nuts next time as a personal preference.

Anyways, I'm ready for a new week ahead...

Have a blessed week!

9 comments:

chocolatesuze August 9, 2010 at 1:55 AM  

mmm crumbles make me happy :D

Anonymous,  August 9, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

I like that photo of your sink. It belongs in a sink catalogue - it totally says "buy m, I'll make your washing up life a dream".

I may be overthinking it.

hui yee.

Anonymous,  August 9, 2010 at 9:56 AM  

Oh yes I like the look of the crumble too! Mmm.

hui yee.

sugarpuffi August 9, 2010 at 2:24 PM  

grats on ur new slr! the pics looks wonderful, esp the 1st one. and can u believe i have NEVER tried rhubarb before?! i know...its shocking...its also a hint that u should give me some of ur nice crumble :)

Viv August 9, 2010 at 10:09 PM  

Suze: Me too :) Makes me want to snuggle up on the sofa.

HY: LOL. Looks like my kitchen sink stole the rhubarb's show! My washing up life is definitely not anywhere dreamy. You didn't see the pile of plates that I took out to take that shot ;)

Betty: Thanks! You need to try rhubarb!! It's sour and tangy and leaves your teeth feeling funny like spinach hahaha. You are not subtle with your hints!

Helen (Grab Your Fork) August 10, 2010 at 1:15 AM  

These shots are gorgeous. I paused at the sight of the rhubarb in the sink and sighed as well :) The crumble looks great - I would never have thought to include pine nuts!

Jen August 10, 2010 at 4:17 PM  

The photos are gorgeous! Looks like you've already gotten well-acquainted with the SLR :)

Anonymous,  August 11, 2010 at 12:15 PM  

Oh yuummmmm love crumbles and strawberry and rhubarb is an interesting combo

Amy @ cookbookmaniac August 15, 2010 at 12:27 PM  

The photos of the strawberries make me wanna sing!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP