Apple crumble at home

>> Sunday, April 4, 2010

So my visit to the Meat & Wine Co. last time had me craving for crumbles ever since.

It was towards the end of my Easter break and I was sick of being in bed with the flu once again, so with all my strength I got out of bed and into the kitchen. Apple crumble time! It felt like sunshine after a rainy day just being up and cooking.

Crumbles are relatively easy to make and can be done within 15 minutes. However the baking time is long - takes roughly 50 minutes but this just tests your patience and really you should do something while waiting (like cook dinner) unlike me looking into the oven like a child excitedly looking into the windows of a pet store.

I like my crumbles piping hot with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream (preferably Blue Ribbons). That is exactly the way I had it, while watching The Princess and the Frog.

I *love* this recipe. It is the best crumble I've made - the apples slow-cooked with cinnamon were not too soft and mushy and the crumble on top was just the right texture and sweetness. The tray of crumble was demolished before the movie got anywhere.

Sit and Stay Awhile Apple Crisp
recipe from Ann of Fidget

bake in an 8×8 baking dish or double the recipe and bake in a 9×13 dish
Note: I half the Topping and used 2 large Fuji apples instead.

Filling:
5 to 6 medium-size apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices. (About 7.5 cups)
3 tbsp granulated sugar (I omitted this as Fuji apples are sweet enough).
1.5 tsp cinnamon

Topping:
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 stick unsalted butter, well-softened
2/3 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
1/3 cup quick oats

Preheat the oven to 350 (~176C). Generously grease an 8×8 baking pan with butter.

Place a layer of apple slices in the bottom of the pan and dust with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Continue layering apples and dusting with cinnamon/sugar until done. Toss the apple mixture until evenly coated in cinnamon sugar. The apples should be just about to the top of the pan (they will cook down).

For the topping, place the flour, brown sugar, nuts, cinnamon and oats in a large bowl and stir well with a wooden spoon. Work the butter into the mixture with your fingertips until evenly distributed. Take one full handful of the topping and toss it into the sugared apple mixture. Spread the rest of the topping evenly over the apples. (I usually end up with a dough-like topping that I just lay on top of the apples).

Bake the crisp in the dish on a baking sheet on the center oven rack until the topping is crunchy and the apples are bubbling, 55-60 minutes.

Serve hot.

Sprinkled with cinnamon

Crumbled top before going into the oven

Nom nom nom...

1 comments:

Erika K August 2, 2011 at 11:11 AM  

Oh goodness, this looks perfect! I really need to pop something like this together more often.

I could almost call this dessert sorta healthy...if I squint my eyes. It has apples, right?? Nice addition with the nuts, which I haven't ever used with this type of recipe.

Erika K :)

Cuisinart 14 cup food processor

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP